How The District Wastes Your Tax Dollars

I am the parent of three former Lee’s Summit students.  Two of my children graduated in 2009.  One of them attempted college, but had not received the education that she needed to further her education.  She was required to take remedial classes in college.  42% of Lee’s Summit graduates that attend community college are forced to take remedial classes in college.  My child was one of them.

My son was supposed to graduate in 2011.  Instead he became a high school dropout.  He has been diagnosed with Early Infantile Autism/Kanner’s Syndrome, Inattentive and Impulsive ADHD, Dysgraphia, and Anxiety.  His needs were not met in the district and he was abused emotionally and psychologically.  He was forced to take medication just to walk through the doors.  The medication caused liver damage and we were forced to take him off of it.  He didn't need the medication for any other area of his life, so we were forced to make the decision to remove him from school.  He was not receiving the services or education that he needed and it would have been abusive to continue to force him to go to school.

The school district paid a psychologist to perform an Independent Educational Evaluation.  When they received the results they refused to follow her recommendations.  She gave them very clear and concise recommendations and they stated that they did not interpret them in the same manner that I did.  My son has dysgrapia and sensory issues and they refused to provide him with occupational therapy.  He had no therapies for his autism in the entire time that he was in the school district.  We moved to this school district just because of their reputation and now we know that it was not earned. 

I could go on for several pages about the illegal, immoral, and abusive things that have been done to my son, but I am sure that you could simply look at the files and see for yourselves.

I filed a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights.  They found that the district was not implementing my son’s Individualized Education Plan.  What they didn't find were things that the district had removed from my son’s file.  Therefore, the district is guilty of perjury and tampering with my son’s education records. 

There has been much research into aquatic therapy and its use for autistic students.  We have a $12 million aquatic center that the district refuses to use for their autistic population.  The last numbers that I was able to get from the district showed that 250 students had a medical diagnosis of autism, but only 98 of them had an educational diagnosis.  This district has a history of denying children services that have been recommended by experts. 

One family was forced to send their child to a private school because the district was going to put their child in a life skills class so that he wouldn't mess up their MAPS scores.  I could go on and on, but suffice it to say many families are fighting for their children and their children are being left behind. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missouri Schools - The Washington Post

My Letter Requesting To Become A Board Member

School Board Candidates