How Well Would You Rate Our Board?

School Board Self-Evaluation
April, 2009
 
 
Instructions
This MSBA School Board Self-Evaluation is designed to reflect the individual board member’s measurement of the:
Evaluation questions are organized around the five work areas included in the DESE organizational framework for the 5th Cycle Missouri School Improvement Program.
The MSBA School Board Self-Evaluation is to be completed independently. Individual answers to each question are compiled to produce an average response score.  The District Scoring Key is located on the last page.
You may use the MSBA School Board Self-Evaluation tool in the most meaningful manner for your board:
For more information or assistance with this tool, contact:
MSBA Academy of Public School Governance
2100 I-70 Drive Southwest
Columbia, MO 65203
573-445-9920
· Satisfaction of research-based governance standards for improved student achievement· Successful governance leading to the complete execution of the district strategic plan (CSIP)· Growth in governance effectiveness (change for continuous improvement) · In whole or in part· As it is or modified based on your needs · All at once or sequentially by section· Annually or more often· As a document that you score within the district or as a scan form submitted to MSBA for scoring and report generation· With or without MSBA assistance 
 
The Questions
Please circle your response.
I. Student Performance

 
 
 
 
II. Highly Qualified Staff

 
 
III. Facilities, Instructional Programs, Support

 
IV. Parent and Community Involvement

 
V. Governance
1 2 3 41. I believe schools are for learning.
1 2 3 42. My board measures success by student learning outcomes.
1 2 3 43. My board routinely demonstrates that student achievement is the district’s single/unified purpose.
1 2 3 44. I can name the three subjects or grade levels or schools where student achievement in my district is highest.
1 2 3 45. I can name the three subjects or grade levels or schools where student achievement in my district is lowest.
1 2 3 46. I can name at least two of the three subjects or grade levels or schools where student achievement in my district was most improved last year.
1 2 3 47. My board has a clearly-expressed, fundamental expectation that the district will attain and maintain full accreditation as defined by the state.
1 2 3 48. My board has approved policies specifically designed to improve student achievement.
1 2 3 49. I know that building-level strategic plans are shaped by building-level performance data.
1 2 3 410. My board openly and honestly identifies and discusses the district’s achievement challenges in public forums.
1 2 3 411. My district has written job descriptions on file and available for every position in the district.
1 2 3 412. My board supports the non-renewal of contracts for ineffective teachers, even if they are tenured.
1 2 3 413. My board expects the superintendent to provide documentation of teacher performance in support of any recommendations for termination or non-renewal.
1 2 3 414. My board has a clearly-expressed expectation that every district position be periodically evaluated for performance.
1 2 3 415. My board encourages the administration to engage in staff evaluations that exceed the minimum state requirements.
1 2 3 416. I have seen blank or name-removed copies of the tools used to evaluate my district’s staff.
1 2 3 417. My board has clearly-identified expectations for the recruitment of effective teachers.
1 2 3 418. My board has carefully reviewed the district’s benefits package with regard to effective teacher recruitment.
1 2 3 419. My board takes steps to guarantee that provided professional development responds to what district- and building-level data shows about student achievement.
1 2 3 420. I know my district’s professional development is effective.
1 2 3 421. The cost of my district’s board-approved Professional Development Plan exceeds 1% of the district’s state received funds.
1 2 3 422. My board receives exit survey or exit interview information indicating why departing staff members have left the district.
1 2 3 423. Every member of my board actively participates in the superintendent evaluation process.
1 2 3 424. My board’s evaluation of the superintendent measures all three of the following:
a. Satisfaction of state-identified national performance standards
b. Execution of district strategic plans
c. Personal professional growth
1 2 3 425. My board holds our superintendent accountable for ensuring that evaluation of building principals measures all three of the following:
a. Satisfaction of state-identified national performance standards
b. Execution of building-level strategic plans
c. Personal professional growth
1 2 3 426. My board empowers the superintendent to re-assign, remove, or replace ineffective staff.
1 2 3 427. Classroom technology is valuable only when accompanied by professional development addressing how technology can be used to improve teaching and learning.
1 2 3 428. My board has clearly-expressed expectations that all district facilities will be kept clean and well-maintained.
1 2 3 429. My board draws a clear connection between maintenance of district property and public support for future facility needs.
1 2 3 430. My board supports achievement-related activities in district buildings before and after the school day.
1 2 3 431. My board uses achievement and enrollment information to inform facility-related decision making.
1 2 3 432. Children and adults are safe in district buildings.
1 2 3 433. I know there are district procedures in place to evaluate the effectiveness of all district programs.
1 2 3 434. The board acts to continue or end programs based on the results of measured program effectiveness.
1 2 3 435. The board has a clearly-expressed expectation that the superintendent and staff will provide immediate response to any financial audit findings or management letter suggestions provided to the board by its independent financial auditor.
1 2 3 436. The board requires the district budget to address areas of improvement that are identified by student performance and other district or state data.
1 2 3 437. The board requests, receives, and uses data to inform decision-making with regard to the district’s long-term financial needs.
1 2 3 438. My community demonstrates awareness that student achievement is the district’s single, unified purpose.
1 2 3 439. My board is respected in my community.
1 2 3 440. My board routinely gathers input from the public to inform governance decisions.
1 2 3 441. My board views public engagement as a valuable opportunity, not a burden.
1 2 3 442. My board annually approves the use of some district resources specifically focused on improving parent and community involvement in district plans, projects, or programs.
1 2 3 443. My board makes specific efforts to engage community members who are not parents of school-age children.
1 2 3 444. Parts of my district’s strategic plan regard raising parent awareness of home-based strategies for student achievement improvement.
1 2 3 445. My board ensures that enrollment in the district’s Free and Reduced Lunch Program is free from stigma, embarrassment, or inconvenience.
1 2 3 446. My board clearly expresses its expectations for district engagement with the parents of pre-Kindergarten-aged children.
1 2 3 447. District procedures and policies for community attendance and contribution at board meetings are readily available and clearly defined.
1 2 3 448. My board works assertively to publicize district successes.
1 2 3 449. My board works collectively to maintain and improve relations with local media.
1 2 3 450. My board makes specific efforts to engage other local, county, and state officials in the execution of district goals.
1 2 3 451. My board expects change in the instructional practice of teachers as a routine feature of continuous school improvement.
1 2 3 452. My board expects change in the managerial practice of administrators as a routine feature of continuous school improvement.
1 2 3 453. My board expects change in the governance practice of the school board as a routine feature of continuous school improvement.
1 2 3 454. My board welcomes change in instructional, administrative, and governance practices.
1 2 3 455. My board made changes in its governance practices during the past year.
1 2 3 456. I know with certainty that changes in governance practices my board has made during the past three years have led to improvements in student achievement.
1 2 3 457. My board is committed to ongoing professional development for the board.
1 2 3 458. My school board’s own professional development is selected to address governance challenges identified by student performance data and board-self evaluation.
 
 
1 2 3 459. My district provides in-house orientation for new board members, conducted in part by board members, as a supplement to state-required certification training.
1 2 3 460. My board always seeks pertinent data and information prior to making a decision or taking action.
1 2 3 461. The data I receive from my superintendent and staff is delivered in a form or manner that makes sense to me.
1 2 3 462. The data my board receives is of sufficient quantity (amount) to be helpful to my decision-making.
1 2 3 463. I can find my district’s state-published student performance data on DESE’s website.
1 2 3 464. The data my board receives is sufficiently specific/pertinent to the issue(s) under consideration to be helpful to my decision-making.
1 2 3 465. My board never receives reporting data or information without considering whether it requires a response.
1 2 3 466. My board always consults district policy before making a decision or taking an action.
1 2 3 467. My board views superintendent recommendations as one of several types of information used in governance decision making.
1 2 3 468. My board does not protect “sacred cow” programs unless there is data or information showing that program’s effectiveness.
1 2 3 469. My board routinely, accurately, and publicly reports the status of district finances.
1 2 3 470. My board receives an annual presentation from an independent financial auditor as part of an open meeting. 
1 2 3 471. I know the proportions of federal, state, and local funds my district receives as revenue.
1 2 3 472. I know or can find the performance standards currently used by DESE to determine the district’s accreditation level.
1 2 3 473. My district’s mission statement is meaningful.
1 2 3 474. My district’s mission statement is focused on student achievement.
1 2 3 475. My district’s mission statement reflects the board’s vision and beliefs.
1 2 3 476. My board meets at least annually for the specific purpose of identifying superintendent performance goals for the coming year.
1 2 3 477. My board meets at least annually for the specific purpose of identifying board goals for the coming year.
1 2 3 478. At least once every five years, my board considers every part of the strategic plan in a collaborative revision process.
1 2 3 479. My board includes specific objectives, strategies and action steps for itself as a part of the district strategic plan.
1 2 3 480. My district’s strategic plan identifies specific evidences/documents to be used in measuring progress toward meeting strategic plan goals.
1 2 3 481. My board expects and receives reports throughout the year showing the ongoing progress in the measured execution of strategic plan goals.
1 2 3 482. I can name specific projects and programs at the classroom level that are the result of the board-approved district strategic plan.
1 2 3 483. My district’s strategic plans contain goals and objectives that exceed minimum performance requirements from the state or federal governments.
1 2 3 484. My board requires meeting agenda items to be connected to the strategic plan, to policy, or to other governing documents whenever possible.
1 2 3 485. Creation of the proposed board meeting agenda is a collaborative effort between the superintendent and board president.
1 2 3 486. My requests for the inclusion of agenda items are generally granted.
1 2 3 487. Board member requests for the inclusion of agenda items are not refused without reasonable explanation.
1 2 3 488. I refer citizen inquiries regarding board meeting agendas to the Superintendent’s office or to the board president.
1 2 3 489. My board conducts itself in a polite, professional manner during board meetings.
1 2 3 490. If I need help from the district, I make my request to the superintendent.
1 2 3 491. My board routinely and publicly recognizes the separation between management and governance.
1 2 3 492. My board does not manage/micromanage district affairs.
1 2 3 493. District staff is directly accountable to the superintendent, not the board.
1 2 3 494. I feel my opinion is valued by my fellow board members.
1 2 3 495. I feel my opinion is valued by my superintendent.
1 2 3 496. I feel welcome to express my view during board meetings.
1 2 3 497. My board president works hard to prevent a minority of board members from dominating board meetings and work.
1 2 3 498. I feel my board is respected by district staff.
1 2 3 499. My board routinely recognizes student excellence.
1 2 3 4100. My board routinely recognizes staff excellence.
1 2 3 4101. I feel the viewpoint and opinion of my board colleagues are equally important as my own.
1 2 3 4102. My board is fair.
1 2 3 4103. My board does not hold grudges.
1 2 3 4104. My board respects the authority of the superintendent over his staff.
1 2 3 4105. The superintendent is the only district employee directly accountable to the board.
1 2 3 4106. I keep closed-session and other confidential information to myself.
1 2 3 4107. My colleagues on the board can be trusted with confidential information.
1 2 3 4108. Keeping information confidential when appropriate is not a problem on my board.
1UnknownI do not have the data, information, examples, or other awareness that I need to respond.
2DisagreeI have data, information, examples, or other awareness that contradicts this statement.
3AgreeI have data, information, examples, or other awareness that confirms this statement.
4Strongly AgreeI have data, information, examples, or other awareness that shows my board has not only met, but also exceeded the effective practice referenced by this question.
District Scoring Key
Individual answers to each question are compiled to produce an average response score. The score breakdown is:
1: Below BasicResponses indicate insufficient knowledge for informed decision-making; district success cannot be tied to board action with certainty; district failure is not sufficiently understood to be efficiently remedied. The Board does not show an awareness of research-proven principles of effective governance. The fundamentals of effective governance may not be identified and/or understood.
2: BasicThe Bad news: Responses indicate that current board practices and beliefs are barriers to student achievement and district success; board action is occasionally or even often in contradiction to research-proven principles of effective governance. The fundamentals of effective governance are not firmly in place.
The Good news: Though average scores in the 2-3 range clearly evidence significant barriers to district success, the board is capable of identifying which actions and beliefs need improvement and change in order to remove those barriers.
3. Proficient
Responses indicate that current board practice and belief are consistent with research-proven principles of effective governance for student achievement. Fundamentals of effective governance are understood and generally followed. Clarification of board focus and direction, concentration on student achievement outcomes, and continuous improvement monitoring will elevate the district from fundamental to advanced performance ranges. Knowledge is sufficient and systems are in place to provide remedies to identified barriers.
4. Advanced
Responses indicate that current board practice and belief demonstrate effective application of research-proven principles of governance for student achievement. The board and district routinely demonstrate governance action that is significantly above the fundamental level. Knowledge is sufficient and systems are in place to remedy identified barriers and have been institutionalized into board action in ways that will minimize current and future barriers to continuous improvement.
 
Answer Key and Response Scoring Guide
Individual Answer Key

 
Change and Growth

 
 
Data/Information

 
Planning

 
 
 
 
Meeting Agendas

 
Relations

 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Missouri Schools - The Washington Post

My Letter Requesting To Become A Board Member

School Board Candidates